Cotton Fest: A Dream Realized by William Clark Green

Cotton Fest: A Dream Realized by William Clark Green

Grab your Festival Passes or single-day tickets here if you’re still looking for tickets.

If you’re looking for a good time in Lubbock, Texas, you don’t have to look much further than Cotton Fest, the annual music festival that draws about ten thousand people each year. What started as a street show has grown into a full-blown weekend of live music, family fun, and philanthropy.

We had a conversation with William Clark Green, the founder of Cotton Fest, to learn more about how the festival has evolved over the years, what people can expect from this year’s event, and how it’s making a positive impact on the local community.

Fatherhood and Festival Planning

First things first, we asked William how being a dad has impacted his work as a musician and festival organizer. “It’s made me wanna work harder and be better,” he said. “And it’s made me super aware of the things I do now.”

It’s clear that William has poured his heart and soul into Cotton Fest, which he describes as “everything I’ve loved about music festivals while taking away everything I’ve hated.” He saw a need for a big event that focuses on supporting the local ag economy, and out of that Cotton Fest was born.

Community Partnerships

One of the things that sets Cotton Fest apart from other music festivals is its emphasis on community partnerships. William has brought in friends from college and the music scene to add to the experience with fun things like the annual golf scramble, VIP night, and cornhole tournament. 

The Philanthropic Side of Cotton Fest

Perhaps the most impressive aspect of Cotton Fest is its philanthropic side. The festival has a fund that helps local farmers in need pay for things such as diesel for tractors or medical bills, amongst other various expenses. “When there’s a need, the community comes to help,” William explained.

The fund has raised between $100,000 and $150,000 each year, and 90% of the funds go directly to local farmers while the remaining 10% goes to operations run by a committee.

What to Expect from Cotton Fest

If you’re planning on attending Cotton Fest this year (and you should!), here’s what you can expect: a lot of coolers, a whole lot of live music, and a family-friendly atmosphere. William and his team have worked hard to make the festival more family-oriented, adding events like mutton busting. They dream of adding a rodeo in the future.

Friday night is geared toward an older crowd, while Saturday is often when local college students join the party. And there’s more to do than just listen to live music: you can bring your RV, participate in the cook-off, and compete in the cornhole tournament.

A Full Weekend

William can’t wait to start the party and is excited to see everyone having a great time. It’s a fun weekend and he is thrilled that his whole family will be there to help out. William mentioned that he is especially excited to see his son Benjamin grow up with Cotton Fest as a part of his life. 

With all the work that goes into planning Cotton Fest each year, it’s no surprise that William looks forward to Sunday and taking a few days off when the festival is over. 

And of course, he’s looking forward to the golf tournament a couple days before the festival, which he says is his chance to relax and not worry about anything.

So if you’re looking for a fun and philanthropic weekend in Lubbock, look no further than Cotton Fest. With great music, family fun, and a commitment to helping the local community, it’s the perfect staycation for anyone looking to let loose and do some good at the same time

About the Author: Taylor McAlpine is a Lubbock native and the founder of Local LBK. Created out of his own desire to learn more about his community he started sharing his journey through social media helping others learn what it looks like to “live like a local.” Local LBK is a local media company designed to help you enhance our city and your life by supporting local businesses and exploring everything going on in your own backyard.

Leave your comment